Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

"Japonisme" Umbrellas and Parasols. Artists Richard Edward Miller and Henri Lebasque

Hi and welcome to you all. Today I have pretty paintings, some which reflect design in Japan. To quote Wikipedia as they are much more concise and better said they I.

 "Japonisme is a French term that refers to the popularity and influence of Japanese art and design in western Europe in the nineteenth century following the forced reopening of trade of Japan in 1858.  Japonisme was first described by French art critic and collector Philippe Burty in 1872. 

While the effects of the trend were likely most pronounced in the visual arts, they extended to architecture, landscaping and gardening, and clothing"

My Grandmother's house was sprinkled with decorations and art work that as an adult I realized was influenced by the Japonisme art movement. Maybe that familiarity is one of the reason I am so drawn to Japonisme.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

.
I really like this one. It would be so pretty framed and hung in my bedroom.
       
 Richard Edward Miller parasol 

 Henri Lebasque
Mimi by Richard Edward Miller 
Richard Edward Miller 
Richard Edward Miller parasol
                                           

No comments: